Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Isn't this what everyone does for Earth Day?

Today is Earth Day (isn't it? I think it is. I don't leave the house much...sometimes I loose some days). So in honor of saving energy, my children (particularly Graecy, our resident streaker) have decided to forgoe clothing in lieu of going "au naturel." Since we live in the midwest, and recently have been subject to some unseasonably cold weather, their naked rears have been confined to the Great Indoors, and they have been entertaining themselves with a number of fascinating games: Spin til You Drop, Color-By-Number Brother, and the all-time favorite, Run Around the Kitchen in Circles. When they get so dizzy they nearly puke up their organic Bunny-O's, they resort to watching their favorite classics: Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and The Sound of Music (you should hear the three of them try to harmonize with Julie Andrews...that is worth paying money for).



Today, the TV was left on by a forgetful mommy, and The Wiggles came on. Suddenly there was silence in the room, as three dizzy little dears in their birthday suits stopped to stare and glaze over at the screen. They haven't watched that show in...ever, I don't think. Lilly might have watched it a few times when she was an only child, but since then, I don't think we've been entertained by the Aussie Posse for a while. In fact, when the show came on, I was reminded of my mommy-crush on Anthony Field, the "blue" Wiggle. His sexy salt and pepper hair, his funny accent, his oddly bright white chiclet teeth. Only today, I feel it is now necessary for me to rescind that former crush, as I do not think I can respectably say I "know" him anymore. There is something attractive about a man who can take care of children- someone who is good with kids, who jumps right in and isn't afraid to hold a little one, or change a diaper, or comfort them after a fall. But when you put this man in a butterfly costume, and make him say "Butterfly Antennae!" repeatedly, something about that attractiveness is lost. When you make him dress in gaudy western garb and make him dance and sing to "Turkey in the Straw" like an elderly person, not only is some attraction lost, but some manhood as well, you suppose.

I just don't find a person I can't respect attractive. Someone who has no respect for themselves isn't attractive either. All I have to say is: that must be a pretty big paycheck, Mr. Field. Does it buy you your manhood back? I doubt it.



I'll stick to crushing on Sealy Booth. He is the perfect combination of machismo and caring father, of braun and brains, and he looks quite hunky in just about everything (though I've yet to see him in a butterfly costume....)

No comments:

Post a Comment