Monday, March 2, 2009

She comes by it honestly?

Tonight was a bath night. Not unusual; in fact, most nights should be bath night with my kids, but we don't always get around to it before bedtime. But Mondays, they are always bath night. (I love the smell of a clean baby's head- there is nothing better than Johnson's and soft, warm baby hair).

I should also say that I have never, ever, in my entire life, known of human children who love the water more than my kids. It is a bit unnatural. They will sacrifice dessert (even chocolate!) to have a bath instead. They will soak themselves repeatedly while washing dishes (they love to wash the dishes- standing at the sink, scrubbing things with lotsa bubbles- amazing it doesn't hold my interest as much) and have no problem just hanging out in wet clothes.
My mom gave them a toy fishing rod with foam fish for Christmas- they stopped opening presents and insisted she get out a bucket for them to play "fishing. " Which they then did, for nearly 2 hours. We had to bribe them back to opening the rest of their presents! So tonight, I strapped them into their seats so they would be forced to finish at least half their macaroni before the wailing for bath time started (if I don't strap them in on bath night, they will skip dinner all together).

We have also resolved the (occasional) issue of dessert on bath nights- popsicles in the tub! This is another reason why bath night is such a favorite. I have discovered a new kind of popsicle called "minis"- about 1/4 the size of regular pops, and in fun shapes. My kids can eat them (because they aren't too big, they don't melt and fall of the stick before they have a chance to take a few bites, and they are small enough that little hands can hold them), and they do so with vigor. Tonight both Nick and Graecy chose orange, so they would match. And in the tub they went!

Nick's mouth was getting a little cold, so he was trying to find a place to set his orange pop down, and inadvertently stuck it under water.


Me: "Oh no! Don't stick it in the water! It will melt!"

Nick:"Mewt? Mewt mewt!"

Graecy: "Yah, Bayba, and then it will be gone!"

(Graecy has taken to calling Nick "Bayba"; apparently it is a combination of the endearing term "bubby" - which Lilly calls him, and "babe"- which I call Jon.)

N: "Ooh!"

G: "And then that is how the earth makes gets our tummy's full."

M: "The earth makes our tummies full from melted popsicles?"

G:"No, silly mommy!"


???


Later, as we were draining the tub, Graecy and Nick were putting toys in the bucket and hanging their wash clothes to dry. Graecy kept sticking her wash cloth over the drain (I have learned to pull the plug before they get out- they will actually voluntarily exit the tub if it is empty) to keep the water from going out.

Me: "Graecy, move your washcloth. The water needs to drain."

Graecy:"But I don't want to get out!"

M:"Bath time is over! Please hang your washcloth now."

She stands to do so, then turns to me,

G:"But I'm just so sad.'

M:"Why are you so sad?"

G:"Because my toys is going round and round and down and down."

M: "Your toys can't fit down the drain. They're ok; come on, hop out!"

G:"Mommy! Princesses don't hop! They flop!"



Well. That is bath night at my house. They make Mondays a little easier.

1 comment: